Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez will miss their first two Premier League games of the season after picking up an abdominal strain in training, manager Arsene Wenger said.Wenger said the Chile international would miss Arsenal’s home fixture against Leicester City on Friday (9.45pm) as well as the trip to Stoke City on Aug. 19.“He had a little abdominal strain that he caught on Sunday morning in training and he had a scan,” Wenger told a news conference. “He is out for a while, could be two weeks but he will not be available for Stoke.”Sanchez, who was Arsenal’s top scorer in the league with 24 goals last season, has been linked with a move to Paris St Germain in the French media, but Wenger has been adamant that he would stay at the Emirates Stadium.When asked if Arsenal have received any bids from PSG for the 28-year-old, Wenger replied: “I cannot tell you that. We are not open to any offers anyway.“(PSG) are looking for (Kylian) Mbappe, that’s what I read in the papers. I have had no contact with PSG.”Wenger also dismissed media reports linking Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with rivals Chelsea.The 23-year-old England international has struggled to secure a regular place since arriving at Arsenal six years ago, but Wenger believes the winger has the potential to become a great player.“I think he had in his career some bad moments because he had some small injuries,” the Frenchman added.“Last year he was much more stable. Personally I think he is a hugely talented player, he’s on the way up and he will continue to move up because the potential is there.“He’s very conscious of his qualities, he was not always. I believe he will be a very great player.”Wenger also confirmed goalkeeper David Ospina will stay at the club and fight for the number one shirt with Petr Cech this season.
Steaming fissures on Taal Volcano Island spotted Duterte lambasts Catholic Church anew in curse-laden speech before Filipino Baptists MOST READ LATEST STORIES Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite PLAY LIST 02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award03:05Malakanyang bilib sa Phivolcs | Chona Yu01:26Homes destroyed after Taal Volcano eruption02:48ABS-CBN franchise has ‘natural deadline,’ no need for quo warranto — Gatchalian Lionel Messi suspended from Argentina for 3 months for corruption comments OSG petition a ‘clear sign’ of gov’t bid to block ABS-CBN franchise renewal — solon Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NBA scoring champion James Harden and new teammate Russell Westbrook would lead Houston into a visit to the Stephen Curry-powered Warriors in their new arena.Reigning NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo would lead Milwaukee against a Sixers’ squad led by Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MRT-3 files raps vs engineer who brought ammunition to station View comments FILE – A showdown between the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, likely to feature LeBron James against Kawhi Leonard, will be this year’s feature NBA Christmas game, ESPN reported August 2, 2019. (Photos by Gregory Shamus and Sean M. Haffey / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / AFP) /A showdown between the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers, likely to feature LeBron James against Kawhi Leonard, will be this year’s feature NBA Christmas game, ESPN reported Friday.Citing league sources, the sports network’s website reported the annual holiday slate with the battle of Staples Center tenants the biggest matchup.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: LJ Reyes, Paolo Contis celebrate 1st birthday of baby Summer Benefits of township living Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Sons Of Apollo releases new studio album ‘MMXX’ Four-time NBA Most Valuable Player James and new teammate Anthony Davis will lead the Lakers against reigning NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard and Paul George of the Clippers as the NBA’s premier pairs display their skills.For James, it would be a 14th Christmas appearance, two shy of Kobe Bryant’s all-time record. James has scored 338 points on the holiday, trailing only Bryant’s 395 and Oscar Robertson’s 377.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsOther Christmas matchups, find the New Orleans Pelicans at Denver, Boston at reigning NBA champion Toronto, Houston at Golden State and Milwaukee at Philadelphia.It would be the first Christmas appearance for Toronto since 2001.
Marceline Basdeo-Small, the suspected owner of the pit bulls that mauled a man to death and injured two others on Thursday in Leonora, West Coast Demerara (WCD), has been detained by Police.According to Commander of D Division (West Demerara), Leslie James, the reported owner of the animal is presently in custody and is assisting with the investigation into the incident.James earlier confirmed that Basdeo-Small’s brother, who was taken into custody the same day of the attack, has been released.The identity of the dead man is still unknown, but Guyana Times understands that he was destitute.The two men who were also injured are Ramanand Bhikam of Stewartville Housing Scheme, WCD and Wilbert Adams of Cornelia Ida, WCD.Based on reports, the dead man was found about 06:00h at Lot 190 Para Field, Leonora, with several bite marks about his body.The Police were summoned and an investigation was launched.The two injured men were treated at the Leonora Cottage Hospital, but only Bhikam was sent away. They have since given detailed statements to the Police about the attack.Based on reports, Adams told detectives that he was heading to work when he was attacked by the animals.He works at the Uitvlugt Sugar Estate and it was about 03:00h when the dogs attacked him. After being bitten, he managed to make his way to the hospital which in turn alerted ranks at the Leonora Police Station.However, as Bhikam was heading home from work, he was also attacked by the dogs that were on the road. Both men claimed they did not see the other man lying in the trench. It was not until Police arrived at the scene that the man’s body was discovered.Guyana Times was told that the dogs would normally escape from the yard and attack people and other animals. Only recently, they killed several sheep and cows in the area, but it is the first time they actually killed someone.According to James, in earlier reports, they were looking for the owner of the dogs since she reportedly disappeared following the discovery of the man’s body.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEREY PARK – A man apparently jumped to his death today from a freeway overcrossing in Monterey Park, prompting authorities to close the westbound San Bernardino (10) Freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported. The man, apparently in his 30s, died at the scene of the fall, which occurred about 6:15 a.m. from an overcrossing near the Long Beach (710) Freeway, said CHP Officer Francisco Villalobos. His name was not immediately disclosed. The westbound 10 Freeway was closed at the site while an investigation was conducted, Villalobos said. Officials did not immediately say when the freeway would reopen.
Supporters watching Wembley’s showpiece FA Cup final from executive seats will NOT be granted entry if they are wearing club colours. Manchester United and Crystal Palace fans will descend on the national stadium this Saturday, but those heading to the corporate areas will not be allowed in wearing shirts, scarves or anything else which reveals their allegiance. There are 15,000 season ticket holders in the Club Wembley and Bobby Moore Club sections in the middle tier of the ground and all have been informed of the changes to the rules ahead of the Emirates Fa Cup final. Team replica shirts, pin badges, scarves, foam hands, flags etc. are all on the banned list.The email from the Club Wembley Team to season ticket holders reads: “This rule has never been extended to other items than replica shirts; however, due to a number of incidents at recent events, a ‘No Club Colours’ policy is being introduced and will be strictly enforced from the Emirates FA Cup final.“Should club colours be worn, you may be refused entry or be removed from the stadium for your own safety.” Fans in the middle tier of Wembley Stadium will not be allowed to display club colours 1
SAN JUAN BAUTISTA – Earthbound Farm, the country’s largest grower of organic produce, is facing unwelcome scrutiny after federal officials linked a nationwide E. coli outbreak to its bagged spinach. The company, also known by its legal name, Natural Selection Foods LLC, recalled and stopped shipping all its spinach products after E. coli outbreaks killed one person and sickened nearly 100 others in 19 states. Earthbound officials were working with state and federal health inspectors to pinpoint the source of the contamination, spokeswoman Samantha Cabaluna said Saturday. “We’re not even thinking about the cost right now,” Cabaluna said. “We’re trying to do the right thing, to protect public health and get to the bottom of this.” “We’re very, very upset about this because we’re in the business of providing healthy foods,” Cabaluna said. New York natives Myra and Drew Goodman started Earthbound as a 2 -acre farm in 1984. The company began selling bags of pre-washed salads in 1986. Since then, the market for ready-to-eat bagged greens has grown to nearly $3billion. With about 1,100 employees, Earthbound now sells more than 100 types of fruits and vegetables grown on 29,000 acres in California, Arizona, Mexico and other locations in the United States and abroad. Earthbound sells more than 70percent of the country’s bagged organic salad and processes about 30million salad servings each week, according to the company. Its produce can be found in nearly three-quarters of U.S. supermarkets and in all 50 states and Canada. Calabuna did not know how much bagged spinach the company grows and processes each year. About 74percent of the fresh market spinach grown in the United States comes from California, according to the California Farm Bureau Federation. The situation indicates a larger problem within the farming and distribution process, federation spokesman Dave Kranz said. “First, we need to make sure everything is as tight as can be on everyone’s individual operations,” Kranz said. “And then we see if other changes to the process need to be made.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John PhillipsThe U.S. Food and Drug Administration has warned consumers not to eat fresh spinach, and grocery stores nationwide have pulled nearly all spinach products from their shelves. As the investigation continues, other brands may be implicated, officials said. All of Earthbound’s spinach is grown in fields around the Salinas Valley, then washed and packaged at its plant in San Juan Bautista, about 90 miles south of San Francisco, Cabaluna said. Privately held Earthbound is under contract with other food companies to produce and package spinach under about 30 different brand labels sold in supermarkets across North America. The company packages both organic and conventionally grown spinach in separate areas at its San Juan Bautista plant, but it was still unclear which type of spinach made people ill, Cabaluna said. Customers who bought bagged spinach produced by Earthbound should return the product to the grocery store where they bought it or contact the company for a refund, Cabaluna said.
1 Loic Remy could be set for a deadline day move Chelsea outcast Loic Remy is a late target for Spanish side Las Palmas.The striker was loaned out to Crystal Palace by the Blues last year, but injuries hampered his time at Selhurst Park.The France international has since returned to Chelsea, however he is not a part of Antonio Conte’s plans for this season.As such, Remy is keen for a fresh challenge and, according to AS, Las Palmas are working on a deal for him.The Spanish club want to sign the 30-year-old permanently and they have held provisional talks with him.Chelsea, however, are reported to prefer a loan deal.
LANCASTER – A proposed shopping center intended to be a “destination” for residents needs a strong connection with neighboring City Park and a reasonably attractive parking lot, according to Lancaster’s planning commissioners. After hearing public input and reviewing several design concepts for a shopping center at 10th Street West north of Avenue L, commissioners said they are interested in one that features an east-west “main street” layout that intersects with a north-south path of stores. Commissioners said they wanted to see some alterations, including making it easier for people to travel to the park and breaking up a large parking lot on 10th Street West intended to serve a large retail store. “We don’t want people walking through a parking lot to get where they want to go,” said Commissioner Bruce MacPherson. “We should create a little neighborhood instead of a parking lot with buildings on it.” The north-south travel path features a large tenant at the southern end that would be more auto traffic oriented. In all, the design concept features about 775,000 square feet of shopping. The concept allows for the center to be developed in phases and expanded at a later date, said Brian Ludicke, the city’s director of community development. “We think flexibility is an important factor in the design, expandability is an important part of the design,” Ludicke said. The 2B design concept, however, does have some trade-offs, including the large parking area to serve the major tenant at the southern end; no easy connection with City Park; and no apparent solution for keep the Amargosa dry creek bed in a natural state, something that had been sought by trails advocates and those concerned about the elimination of an area of potential groundwater recharge. Planning commissioners suggested that additional shops could be placed on the western portion of the site that would guide shoppers into the pedestrian-oriented areas of the center. They also suggested re-positioning the large tenant at the eastern end of the main street to open up the northeast portion of the site. james.skeen@dailynews (661) 267-5743160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: John Jackson greets a Christmas that he wasn’t sure he’d seeThe city and a consulting firm, RTKL Associates, are working to create a shopping center on about 150 acres bounded roughly by avenues K-8 and L and by Fifth and 10th streets west. City officials are trying come up with a design concept that will serve as the basis for an environmental impact report and a specific plan – a planning guideline for the property. The city planning staff and RTKL came up with a recommended design option they referred to as Option 2B featuring the intersecting travel paths. The commissioners called that option a good starting point but are seeking alterations they believe will enhance the pedestrian aspect of the center and help make the eastern portion of the site more attractive for both shops and shoppers. A special meeting is scheduled for 5 p.m. Tuesday at Lancaster City Hall, 44933 Fern Ave., to consider a revised design. The 2B concept features a mix of pedestrian and auto-oriented shopping elements. The east-west main street is geared toward strolling shoppers and features a central plaza that would be a community gathering spot. The street would have a larger tenant of about 75,000 square feet at the eastern end.
Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury huge blow Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade gameday cracker revealed “On behalf of everyone at Leeds United, we would like to thank the medical staff from both clubs for their response to the incident.”Marcelo Bielsa’s men picked up a valuable point from their visit to Teeside after leaving it late to salvage a 1-1 draw.Kalvin Phillips equalised in the 11th minute of injury time with his first goal of the season to move Leeds back to the top of the Championship.Lewis Wing had given Tony Pulis’ men the lead earlier in the second half. SORRY MOST READ IN FOOTBALL RANKED Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update REVEALED latest 1 Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Clarke was carried off on a stretcher receiving oxygen, and was consequently taken to hospital.The highly-rated Clarke started the game at the Riverside, but was withdrawn at the interval.Leeds confirmed in a statement on their website that Clarke had been taken away in an ambulance as a precaution.It read: “Jack Clarke began to feel unwell during the second half of our Sky Bet Championship fixture with Middlesbrough and received medical attention.“The player is responsive and attending hospital with the club’s head of medicine and performance. Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Leeds United have confirmed Jack Clarke is “responsive” after the youngster was taken ill during Saturday’s draw at Middlesbrough.Clarke, 18, complained of feeling unwell while on the visitors’ bench, with paramedics rushing to the scene to tend to the youngster. Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions BEST OF The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Leeds winger Jack Clarke has been taken to hospital after feeling unwell during his side’s clash against Middlesbrough