Howard Kendall 1 Everton’s greatest-ever manager Howard Kendall has died at the age of 69.Kendall won the title with the club as a player in 1969 as part of the famous ‘Holy Trinity’ along with Alan Ball and Colin Harvey, but undoubtedly his best achievements came when he returned to Goodison Park in 1981.Within three years he had won the First Division championship, repeating the feat in 1987, while also winning the FA Cup and European Cup-Winners’ Cup in the club’s most successful era in which the Toffees became a powerhouse of British football.“It is with great sadness that Everton Football Club has learned of the passing of Howard Kendall,” said a statement from the club.“The most successful manager in the history of the club and one of the greatest players to pull on the Everton jersey, he passed away in hospital in Southport this morning at the age of 69, surrounded by loved ones.“The thoughts of everyone associated with the club are with Howard’s family at this difficult time and it would be appreciated if everyone could respect their request for privacy.”
Anything you can do Lionel…Diego Maradona was not to be outdone by Argentine compatriot Lionel Messi when he repeated the Barcelona maestro’s juggling feats with an orange.Watch Messi’s attempt here.Whose was better?
The best bits from the first show of the week with Paul and Andy.
Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United target Mauro Icardi will leave Inter Milan next summer – if Roberto Mancini is still the manager.The pair have reportedly had a falling out after the former Manchester City boss elected to leave the striker, and captain, on the bench for last weekend’s Milan derby.It led to rumours that Icardi could be sold on transfer deadline day, with a £19m price tag slapped on his head.No move ultimately took place but, according to Tuttosport, the relationship between Icardi and Mancini is now at breaking point.The 22-year-old forward, who was top scorer in Serie A last year, is said to have told the club’s owners that either he or Mancini must leave in the summer.The news is likely to spark major interest from the Premier League, where Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United have been all been tracking the Argentina star. Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi 1
1 Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney David Ginola believes a big-money switch to China would be a good career move for Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney.A host of top names have joined the football revolution in the mega-rich Chinese Super League in recent weeks, and Rooney is the latest superstar to be linked.It was claimed on Friday that the Red Devils are open to selling the England striker after receiving a huge offer from China – with some reports suggesting the fee could be the first to rise to £100million.And after 12 years at Old Trafford, former Premier League star Ginola believes there is every chance the 30-year-old could seek a big-money move abroad.“Should Wayne Rooney move to China? I don’t see why not,” the Tottenham and Newcastle legend Ginola told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“He’s done everything he can for Manchester United and for the England national team and if he moves to China he’d be on £500,000-a-week, £2million-a-month!“Players go to the United States to play in the MLS, to Qatar, Dubai and Saudi Arabia, so why not China too?”The Chinese Super League has emerged as football’s newest super power in recent months after a huge cash injection, with China’s government announcing a goal to ‘create a domestic sport economy worth $850bn by 2025.’The money received by Chinese clubs from broadcasters also multiplied by more than 20 times from 2015 to 2016, rising from $9m to $200m as part of a five-season package worth $1.25billion.And former France international Ginola believes the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and the rest of the world’s top leagues should be wary of the revolution in the Far East.The ex-midfielder added: “Arsene Wenger said last week that the Chinese Super League will probably be the first league to spend £100million on a player.“And if they CAN put £100million on the table, I see the Chinese league as a real threat to the football world.”Argentina international Ezequiel Lavezzi became the latest European-based player to head to China earlier this week, when he joined Hebei Fortune in a £23.5m two-year deal, while Liverpool lost out on signing top target Alex Teixeira when he instead chose a £38million move to Jiangsu Suning.The likes of Colombia winger Jackson Martinez and former Premier League players Ramires, Paulinho, Gervinho, Nikica Jelavic, Mohamed Sissoko and Asamoah Gyan are other notable stars who currently play in the 16-team Chinese Super League, where the new season begins on March 4.
Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren’s future appeared to be coming to a head amid reports he was meeting managing director Lee Charnley on Wednesday afternoon.The club are understood to have sounded out a series of possible replacements, including former Real Madrid boss Rafael Benitez, as they consider replacing 54-year-old McClaren after just nine months in his job. The Magpies have slumped to 19th place in the Barclays Premier League.McClaren has battled all season to edge Newcastle up the table but, despite an investment in new players of more than £82million, they have continued to struggle and slumped to a 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth on Saturday.McClaren has taken training for the last two days ahead of Monday’s trip to leaders Leicester, but he did so as the club’s hierarchy assessed options, with a place in next season’s top flight at stake and the estimated £100million that will be worth.The former England manager was due to meet Charnley after training, according to Sky Sports News.Three members of the club’s football board – Charnley, chief scout Graham Carr and club ambassador Bob Moncur – met on Monday in the absence of the fourth, McClaren.Sources close to Benitez have indicated he would have a qualified interest in any vacancy.The Spaniard is available after parting company with Real in January, as are former Everton and Manchester United boss David Moyes and ex-Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers. 1 The Spaniard is available after parting company with Real Madrid in January
EDUCATION: This year’s decline is attributed to fewer county births and students moving to charter campuses. By Paul Clinton STAFF WRITER Los Angeles Unified’s total student enrollment has continued its expected decline, dropping 2 percent from 708,461 students last year to 694,288 this year, according to figures released Thursday by the district. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Although the Harbor Area also saw declines, school board member Richard Vladovic said it wasn’t as dramatic as he thought it would be. “It’s down 2 to 3 percent,” Vladovic said. “We anticipated more.” About 41,000 of the students – or 6 percent of the population – are enrolled in fiscally independent charter schools. Charter schools reduce enrollment at traditional LAUSD schools by about 1 percent per year. District officials attribute the drop to a decline in births in Los Angeles County, which have decreased sharply since 1990 but have now stabilized. The district saw a decline in each grade level, except for 11th and 12th grades. Economic conditions like job availability and housing costs also contributed to the decline, officials said. In Local District 8, Gardena High School reported the steepest decline, to 3,211 students from 3,428 a year ago. The school lost seven teachers and an assistant principal, officials said. At Carson High School, enrollment dropped to 3,466 from 3,508, forcing Principal Ken Keener to cut two unfilled teaching positions. The school also will lose an assistant principal, local administrator Myrna Brutti said. About 100 additional students are attending Westchester High School this year (1,837 compared with 1,733 a year ago), which reversed a three-year decline. The school has fallen from its peak of 2,369 in 2004-05, because fewer students filter in from other, more-crowded schools. To boost attendance, Local District 3 administrators implemented an open-enrollment policy that allows any student in the LAUSD attendance boundary to attend the school. firstname.lastname@example.org Staff writer Naush Boghossian contributed to this article. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Once again, Hillary Rodham Clinton leads in a poll. This time, she’s the top choice when people are asked which major 2008 presidential candidate would make the scariest Halloween costume. Thirty-seven percent in an Associated Press-Ipsos survey this month chose the New York senator, the front-runner among Democratic presidential contenders. Fourteen percent selected former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who leads Republicans in national polls. No other candidate exceeded 6 percent. Clinton was the choice of four in 10 men and one-third of women. While a predictable two-thirds of Republicans picked her, she also was the choice of 18 percent of Democrats. Among members of her own party, that made her second only to Giuliani as the scariest costume. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.About one-third of independents, nearly half of whites and just over half of conservatives and white evangelicals selected her. Giuliani was the choice of 17 percent of men and 12 percent of women. About one-fifth of minorities and city residents and one-quarter of Democrats also picked him. While many conservatives have doubts about Giuliani’s candidacy because of his moderate views on abortion and other social issues, only 6percent of that group said they thought he would make the scariest costume. That is about the same number who chose Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill. Giuliani was also picked by 10 percent of white evangelicals, another largely conservative group that has had doubts about his candidacy. The poll involved telephone interviews with 1,013 adults conducted from Oct. 16-18. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
Supporters watching Wembley’s showpiece FA Cup final from executive seats will NOT be granted entry if they are wearing club colours. Manchester United and Crystal Palace fans will descend on the national stadium this Saturday, but those heading to the corporate areas will not be allowed in wearing shirts, scarves or anything else which reveals their allegiance. There are 15,000 season ticket holders in the Club Wembley and Bobby Moore Club sections in the middle tier of the ground and all have been informed of the changes to the rules ahead of the Emirates Fa Cup final. Team replica shirts, pin badges, scarves, foam hands, flags etc. are all on the banned list.The email from the Club Wembley Team to season ticket holders reads: “This rule has never been extended to other items than replica shirts; however, due to a number of incidents at recent events, a ‘No Club Colours’ policy is being introduced and will be strictly enforced from the Emirates FA Cup final.“Should club colours be worn, you may be refused entry or be removed from the stadium for your own safety.” Fans in the middle tier of Wembley Stadium will not be allowed to display club colours 1